Tuesday 10 September 2013

Book Review - The Unwavering Resolve of Jonathan Edwards (10/9)

I must say that I do like reading biography, and have enjoyed some really good ones in the Long Line of Godly Man Profile. And I do like Stephen Lawson as an author, his writing style lucid, engaging and at many times well worth the time spent investing in reading his works. I do especially like his Foundations of Grace, and Pillars of Grace where I was first introduced to his writings.

However, I must say that I was kinda disappointed with this particular writing, I guess it was not the genre I was expecting. I was expecting a more biographical sketch of the life of Jonathan Edwards in this book. But as the book is titled, it specifies about the resolve (or resolutions) of Edwards and it does systematically run through many of his resolutions and how they are seen in his life through his own dairy records.

Lawson categorized the resolutions into different categories and then systematically analyse them, and show how Edwards himself saw the importance of these resolutions and how he implemented or struggled with the implementations of these resolutions.



The strength of this book is for helping Christians see the importance and reasons for discipline in the Christian life, and even  relatively unimportant things like rationing of amount of food to eat, was an issue that Edwards looked into. It helps a Christian to visualize and see an example of one life lived solely to be of use by God for His glory.

However, that's all there is to this book, if you're looking more for a biographical book on Edwards, I would encourage you to search elsewhere. But you're interested to look at the resolutions of Edwards, how important they were and what they meant in Edward's life and how was it was manifested in his life, this is THE book to get.

Ratings: 3.75/5

No comments:

Post a Comment