Wednesday 4 September 2013

Book Review: Walking from East to West: God in the Shadows

Previously I posted a kindle deal on this book. The deal is now over, but you can still get The Real Face of Atheism at $3.99 for a short time. So if you're interested in getting a book by Ravi Zacharias, this should be a good place to start.


As I read through this book, it was a good read, not too long, with chapters was spread out well and it was an engaging read.


While reading, I saw how Ravi Zacharias grew up in India where living standards aren't as good as mine. Also, how he grew up in a nominal Christian family, faithfully attending services but not pious.

In the book, Ravi talks about his own childhood, his relationship with his dad (who he is quick not to blame), his mum and his grandmother, his education while he was young, his own struggle with his own loneliness which ended up in a suicide attempt. One surprising fact was that he was a rather good cricket player and still is excited about this sport.


One verse that was stuck with him whist on bed recovering from his suicide attempt was John 14:19b "Because I live, you also will live". Which nearing the end of the book gives a surprise about the significance of this verse in his own (family) life.



After conversion, Ravi was deeply influenced by YFC and also was exposed to preaching, which in the future would be his full-time vocation: A itinerant preacher and apologist.

Hereafter Ravi talks about his life as one training to be a hotel manager, and the family's transit to Canada and how he met Margie (his future wife) and also how he was slowly used by God in his preaching, within Canada and in other parts of the world.



What I have personally learnt from this book was how God was working behind the scenes in his life, God has indeed plan all things in his life to make him who he is today. So I have learnt to constant look back into my own life, and see how God has worked in my own life.

Second, I've seen how passionate Ravi is for the Indians, how he longs for all to come to a saving knowledge of Jesus Christ, that I too hope, I can develop and have in my own life.
In the coming days, I'll be posting some of my favourite short sections in the book so put a lookout of them!


Rating: 4.5/5


If you're interested in getting a hardcopy, do click here for Amazon (if you're from US)
Here and Walking from East to West: God in the Shadows (for other countries, prices already includes shipping).

No comments:

Post a Comment